The rain and thunder finally stopped, just when it seemed like it had been raining my whole life. It’s dark and cold outside and here I am tiptoeing into the kitchen. I snatched the leftover kale and potato patties from the fridge, topped it with fried and drizzle it with some vegetable gravy. I love how quiet things at this time…alone in the cold night I could listen to my own breath, and enjoying the last piece of a patty.
These kale and potato patties is an ideal breakfast. It’s so easy to make and satisfying. Another great thing about these patties, you can make them using leftover potatoes and vegetable. You can also serve them with a fried egg on top and drizzle with some vegetable gravy for extra flavour
Kale and Potato Patties
for kale and potato patties
- 400 g boiled potato, cut into chunks
- 2 cup roughly chopped kale
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- freshly crushed black pepper
- sea salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
for vegetable gravy
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add chopped onion and fry gently, or until soft and translucent. Add chopped kale to the pan and continue to cook about 1-2 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Put potatoes in a bowl, mashing the potatoes gently using a potato masher. Make sure to leave some chunks.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the potatoes and mix to combine. Season with black pepper and salt, mix well. Take a spoonful of potato mixture and shape into a patty, repeat the procedure with the remaining mixture.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon oil to coat the skillet. Heat over medium-high heat and fry each patty in a hot oil, until browned on both sides.
- Serve kale and potato patties immediately with fried egg and vegetable gravy.