The sunshine shines brightly outside but that’s still not stopping me from making this easy peasy Chinese egg drop soup. So hearty and inexpensive.
Egg Drop Soup
Silky-smooth egg drop soup that easy to make and inexpensive, yet super satisfying.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 3/4 cup shredded chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 scallions or green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- pinch of salt and sugar
- Make the cornstarch slurry by mixing cornstarch with 2 tablespoons chicken stock. Mix until the cornstarch dissolved and set aside.
- Put chicken stock and ginger in a pot, bring to simmer. Add shredded chicken breast, corn kernels, soy sauce, white pepper, sugar and salt, cook over medium heat and bring to boil. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Stir in the cornstarch slurry, stir the soup continuously as you drizzle in the slurry. Let the soup simmer for a few minutes until thickened. Check the soup consistency, add more cornstarch mixture if you want a thicker soup.
- Slowly pour in the beaten eggs while stirring the soup in the same direction. Turn off the heat, add green onions and drizzle with sesame oil. Serve immediately.