This crispy fish fillet with sambal mangga is a perfect treat for cheat day. Crispy on the outside, soft and flaky on the inside fried fish fillet served with sweet and sour sambal mangga.
It’s mango season and I’m not holding back. I eat the fresh mango every day and also trying to incorporating it in a meal. The other day I got this unripe mango on the market. This mango is too sour to eat it fresh but it doesn’t matter because it’s perfect to make sambal Mangga.
Sambal is a spicy condiment or sauce popular in Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore and Sri Lanka. Various fresh chillies are the basic ingredient for sambal. Traditionally the fresh chillies and other ingredients such as shallot, garlic, shrimp paste, palm sugar or tomato are often ground with mortar and pestle.
Sambal can be served raw or cooked. There are many variations of sambal in Indonesia, every region has their own speciality sambal. The list of ingredients using in making sambal also endless, sometimes it combines with teri (dried anchovy), pete (stink bean) or even fresh fruits such as mango, pineapple or even durian.
Crispy Fish Fillet with Sambal Mangga
Crispy fish fillet
- 500 gr fish fillet, cut into bite-size
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 egg
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small unripe mango, peeled
- 2 red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste, optional
- 2 candlenuts, toasted
- sugar and salt to taste
- Sambal Mangga: Grated the mango or cut it into thin strips. Crushed the candlenuts, red chillies and shrimp paste using mortar and pestle, until it becomes a paste.
- In a medium bowl combine together grated mangoes and candlenut paste. Season with sugar and salt, mix to combine.
- Crispy fish fillet: Cut the fish fillet into a bite-size, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Meanwhile combine flour, rice flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. In another bowl combine egg and milk together.
- Dip each fish into a flour, then shake off the excess. Next, dip the fish in an egg mixture to coat it lightly. Finally, lay the fish fillet again in flour mixture, turn it over and lightly press and pinch to coat it with flour.
- Heat oil in large, heavy pot to 365 degrees. Cook until crisp and golden brown all over. Transfer to paper towel to drain. Serve fish with fresh sambal mangga.