I’m not a big fan of vegemite, but I love this recipe. This vegemite & sweet onion capellini is based on Nigella Lawson’s Marmite Spaghetti. I’ve made Nigella’s marmite spaghetti and I like it, but this time I made a little modification. Sweet caramelized onion really compliment the salty umami flavour of vegemite. And peppery arugula lift this simple dish pasta to refreshing heights, even my mom loves this pasta.
Vegemite & Sweet Onion Capellini
- 250 grams spaghetti or capellini
- 1 teaspoon vegemite
- 30 grams unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100 grams deli smoked chicken breast
- half medium onion, thinly sliced
- a handful of baby arugula
- freshly grated parmesan or cheddar cheese to serve
- Bring a large pan of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta according to the package instruction.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and cook onion over a medium heat until translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Add butter to the pan and let the butter melt completely. When the butter has melted add vegemite and pasta water, stir until the vegemite dissolve.
- Drain pasta in a colander, add it to the vegemite sauce and toss with deli smoked ham and arugula. Serve with plenty of grated cheese.